Can't browse the internet when Blokada is enabled

If you can’t access internet while Blokada is running, most probably you enabled a DNS server in Private DNS. This feature - starting from android 9 - aims to encrypt DNS queries and if you set a DNS server, it makes ad blocking impossible and in our case, Blokada won’t function or even block every connection.

To resolve this situation, follow the below steps:

1. Go to your system’s settings
  2. Go to Network & Internet
  3. Search for Private DNS , tap on that
  4. Choose “Off”, save the configuration

(!) This only applies for Blokada v5 and older

4 Likes

Having issue even after turning off “Private DNS.” Any advice appreciated, not a tech wiz.

I still can’t access the Internet or any of my online apps with Blokada active. I’ve turned off the Private DNS setting.

2 Likes

I have the same issue with the dns blocking.
Set the private DNS to off, restarted the phone, but still the same.
Can’t access internet when Blokada is active, both with WiFi on or off.
Started yesterday, have version 5.9.0

1 Like

I’m in exactly the same situation-- I’m looking to see if I can roll back and install the previous version.

Update: I moved forward from 5.9 to 5.10.1 beta and everything is working again. It does seem the problem is limited to 5.9, at least in my experience.

This problem persists in the latest build of Blokada.

Please enable “Ping networks” in “Settings” → “This device”

I am running Blokada/22.4.1 (android-33 five release arm64-v8a Google sunfish touch api compatible) running on my Pixel 4a smartphone with Android 13 from Aug 1, 2022, last security update Oct 5, 2022.

When Blokada is enabled, I frequently cannot access the Internet due to DNS failing. In this case, I can either enable airplane mode (to disable all network connections) and disable it again (to establish all network connections, again), or I can disable Blokada and enable it again. Both turns DNS back into operation. Seemingly, accessing the Internet works fine when I continue to do so. But when I put the phone aside for a while and use it again after a while, I very often have the same DNS issue again.

I have already disabled “private DNS” in Android. I also enabled “ping networks” in Blokada. Doesn’t help to resolve the DNS issue.

I currently have Blokda disables permanently. It’s just not usable in the current state.

The issue started recently after installing a new Blokada release. How I can get back to a previous release? If I do so, how can I get aware the DNS issue is fix so that I can get back to the up-to-date release?

Try the preview that we are testing for this issue and let me know if it helps for you:
https://github.com/blokadaorg/blokada/releases/download/android-v22.4.5/app-five-release.apk

OK, just installed it. Let’s see if it works better… Will let you know.

I actually just made another update that has even more fixes: try it

https://github.com/blokadaorg/blokada/releases/download/android-v22.4.7/app-five-release.apk

Just got back to let you know the connection issues seemingly disappeared. However, I now see battery drain. Fully charged in the morning, the phone had only 6% at 6 pm. Checking the battery usage in the setting I found that Blokada consumed 26% of the power today!

Will try the new update…

Please try the newest 22.4.14 that you can find on the homepage. Should work better for you.

Had no issues with 22.4.7.

1 Like

Blokada now wanted me to install the new update. Which I did. Now running 22.4.19. - And again, I see the same issue again! Cannot resolve DNS queries, thus no Internet access. Disabling WLAN or Blokada and enable it again resolved the issue, until it shows up again after a while.
Karol, any comment? Did you re-invent that bug?

Try this one: Release Blokada for Android (22.4.20) · blokadaorg/blokada · GitHub

1 Like

I had the same issue since last update ( all internet dying with blokada enabled )

Installed update in last post. Will update you tomorrow.