New locations: Madrid, Milan, Sofia

Hi everyone, I hope you are well!

New Blokada Plus VPN locations

As we continue to improve our VPN network coverage in Europe, we are now introducing several new locations: Madrid (Spain), Milan (Italy), and Sofia (Bulgaria). We hope this is one step towards improving our availability and latency in Europe. As usual, don’t hesitate to let us know what you think and how is your experience.

The new locations are available in any recent Blokada version you are using, however we just released minor updates to update the country flags and include the newly added countries. Those updates are in v5.20.2 for Android, and v6.20.1 for iOS. You should be able to see them momentarily.

Planned maintenance for Zurich

We would also like to inform you of maintenance works in Zurich between the below time slots:

To: Tuesday, 1st of March 2022 07:00 UTC

Thank you for your understanding.

The usual notes

You can perform a test of your adblocking configuration by visiting this link:

https://go.blokada.org/test

As usual we updated the blocklists, and translations. We also made some minor bugfixes. More in the changelog.

Keep the feedback coming, and enjoy using Blokada!

The recap

Just to recap, if you haven’t been following our announcements closely, here are some shortcuts for the newest cool stuff we introduced:

Remember that using Blokada Plus or donating is what makes it possible for us to keep improving the app. Thanks!

Tap to Donate

5 Likes

The introduction of new locations is excellent news.
I tried Milan with WireGuard and it works pretty well.
I was hoping it would be used to connect with Blokada to sites that prevent access outside Italy,
such as those for purchasing train tickets (e.g…, trenitalia.it) or accessing train schedules
or to watch italian tv (e.g., raiplay.it), without having to disconnect the vpn.
Instead all the sites above deny access (to the private access, trenitalita.it, and to some videos, raiplay.it) even using Milan as the location for Blokada.
This seems strange to me.

Hello,

Unfortunately its common for location specific services such as regional video content providers to blacklist all known datacenter IPs, our gateways runs in datacenters. Blokada does not currently support circumventing such censorships, it would require proxying through residential IPs in each specific country.

We might support this in the future, but it’s currently not a priority.

3 Likes