F-droid update is not reliable

Hello friends,

I am sharing this short announcement since so many of you have been encountering issues with the latest F-droid update of Blokada 5 v22.3.8 and I wanted to clarify that Blokada team did not share any updates on F-droid.

We have stopped updating Blokada on F-droid for a while now, and the issues encountered just to show that the apk available on F-droid is not reliable. We checked the APK and there were no threats or malicious code that could threaten your phone’s activity.

THE VERSION SHARED ON F-DROID IS SAFE BUT HAS SOME SMALL ISSUES LIKE THE ERROR MESSAGE ABOUT THE PRIVATE DNS.

I would like to invite all the users who have downloaded Blokada’s update from F-droid to delete it and install it from the one and only reliable source for downloading Blokada 5 and it’s our website blokada.org .

5 Likes

Who shares updates of Blokada on F-Droid?
Who takes care of the F-Droid channel?
Why isn’t it reliable?

I as a Blokada and F-Droid user would feel much better, if F-Droid was reliable.

2 Likes

Recently, I’ve had problems updating apps on f-droid due to the apps being signed with different keys despite the original install coming from f-droid itself. No choice but to uninstall and reinstall.

1 Like

More about this topic here:

3 Likes

Oh wow!! :frowning_with_open_mouth:. This is probably why you get a certificate error when updating some apps that were originally installed from F-Droid.
It might be worth asking on the F-Droid Forums to see if anyone can shed light on the issue.

2 Likes

Is there a way to import settings from fdroid ver to non fdroid?

Not if you only have a libre account, your settings would be lost once you delete the app.

You can use Neo Backup is you have root access on your phone Neo Backup | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

Or if you have knowledge about how to use command line tools, the adb backup and adb restore commands should work. There are many tutorials online about how to use them.

That’s something backed into Android. It’s impossible to switch app source without having to reinstall due to being signed with different keys. The only way would be for devs to wait for F-Droid update and publish the resulting APK to the Play Store.

1 Like

F-droid themselves, the usual process is someone submits a script that will generate an APK a new app. Then it’s reviewed and then the app is published.

If I understand correctly, to package Blokada, the script had to be a bit complex to implement some changes to comply with the very strict privacy and full opensourceness requirements of F-Droid’s official repo. I think there is controversy about to what extent these changes are actually needed (I didn’t took enough time to understand everything) but the result is that they caused unintended effects.