Blokada makes Brave Browser slow/unusable

  1. Where did you download Blokada from?

I got Blokada from your official site a long while ago. But recently, I always got confused on how it was being updated without me downloading the APK file, and it’s existence not being allowed on Google PlayStore. Then I found out it’s in the Samsung Store :sweat_smile:

  1. Which device do you use? Do you use a custom ROM? Do you know which OS version you are using?

Fully vanilla Galaxy S10+ SM-G975W. I am on Android 11 with Security Patch from February, on OneUI 3.0. It’s the Canadian varient, so we get updates almost a month later.

  1. Please explain the issue as detailed as possible. Also include patterns you observed (like ‘it only happens on wifi’). The more information the better.

Nothing in Brave Browser loads with Blokada on, regardless of an LTE or WiFi connection. Brave will, most of the time, never load a Google result. If it does, it will give me a “ERR_CONNECTION_CHANGED” message. When it does give me that error message, I will turn Blokada off (usually from the quick tools in the notification panel), then I’ll reload the page in Brave with the error message, and Brave will load the page just fine.

  1. Since when are you facing this issue?

Not sure actually. At least a week, maybe two.

  1. Did you already try to solve the issue somehow? If so: please state what you did.

I read somewhere to turn off Brave’s SafeSearch and BraveSheild, but that didn’t work.

I forgot to add that my Brave version is 1.21.74, with Chromium 89.4389.72. No updates from the Google Play Store. My Blokada version is 5.10.1.

2 Likes

Did not work

Hey it did not work I said

Did you even try this yourself? Learn to be helpful.

Please stay polite. We’re doing our best to assist you. This is a community driven project so I will have to urge you to respect me as a part of this community. I’m no different to anyone else in here.
Please note that answers can take time

4 Likes

Is it possible that you are having the same problem I am? Complete DNS failure after frequent switching between WiFi and Mobile networks. I use Brave also and it reports messages like that.

Also, while it won’t fix the problem, have you Disabled “Secure DNS” in Brave’s settings? If your DNS request are going through Blokada, by default they are already secure and disabling DNS over HTTPS in Brave significantly speeds up page load times!

In Brave:

  • Click the 3 button menu
  • Click “Settings”
  • Click “Privacy and Security”
  • Click “Use secure DNS”
  • Then turn off the toggle to “Use secure DNS”
1 Like

No.

This post is being cleaned up.

Clean up finished. Please keep conversations civil.

1 Like

I notice no issues with Brave when using Blokada under Android (LineageOS). Using too many lists (or extremely large lists) can generally cause most network activity to lag with any DNS-based ad-blocking solution enabled, so take some time to examine what lists you’re using. Custom DNS resolver selection in Blokada, and/or DoH settings in Brave could be causing problems too. Disabling alternative DNS resolvers in Blokada (if you’re utilizing any) may fix things. Uninstalling then reinstalling Blokada would likely help a lot too, as would sharing a run down of your Blokada configuration.