Blokada drastically lowers connection speed

1. Where did you download Blokada from?

Blokada Official Website / GitHub

1. Which device do you use? Do you use a custom ROM? Do you know which OS version you are using?

Android 11 (OOS 11.0.2)
Oneplus Nord N10 5G
Stock Rom

1. Please explain the issue as detailed as possible. Also include patterns you observed (like ‘it only happens on wifi’). The more information the better.

***After Downloading & Installing Blokada 5, I realized that it uses a VPN in order to block ads and trackers.

So my first thought was, is this free apps VPN connection going to be fast. Since I have tried many free vpns in the past and most of them drastically reduce your connection speed…

So immediately after installing and activating Blokada, I decided to run a speed test to see if in fact the connection speed is reduced. Well it definitely is…

With Blokada activated, the average download speed is only 8 or 9 Mbps. With Blokada Deactivated, my connection speed is 40 to 50 Mbps!
(I’ve now ran this test about 10 times over the past few days)

I this normal? Is the VPN connection Blokada is using always this slow?***

I saw no mention or alerts that using Blokada will reduce your connection speed

1. Since when are you facing this issue?

Immediately after installing

1. Did you already try to solve the issue somehow? If so: please state what you did.

Deactivated Blokada…

Hi there,

Have you tried switching off Blokada Plus and comparing the speed?

Also, can you try using Wireguard and compare it with using Blokada?

Here is the guide on how to use Wireguard:

The fake VPN mechanism has its limitations because VPN tunnelling is poorly implemented on some Android devices. You may find Blokada 6 with the Private DNS approach much faster in your case with no speed penalty.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.