Does Blokada use a lot of battery?

No. Depending on your settings the battery impact is minimal, and on most new devices, especially on Marshmallow (Android 6) or newer, you will not notice any battery drain. However, some unlucky devices may experience increased battery drain.

1 Like

Is this also true for Blokada Plus with VPN? The battery drain for ExpressVPN (on S9/Q) is severe. Just wondering what the typical drain would be for Blokada VPN? Cheers :slight_smile:

There’s a small overhead for encrypting your packets. But this overhead will only be there when you actively use the phone so the impact will be minimal. If you’re not sending anything to the internet, the Blokada process will be idle and there will be no packets initiated by Blokada.

This behavior will be different from other VPNs that use OpenVPN or HTTP based solutions as their main protocol, especially if it’s through TCP which also needs to maintain its state and make handshakes for re-connecting or to send keep alive packets to prevent packets getting delayed.
Blokada doesn’t require a handshake or ongoing states like this.

However, Blokada may still appear in the top of battery usage apps simply because it’s in charge of forwarding all your internet traffic

3 Likes

Thank you for the info Balboah. I am considering purchasing Blokada Plus as ExpressVPN is simply unusable due to the high battery drain. Is it ever on sale during Black Friday?

Hi,
Please check the current pricing. It’ll be hard to further lower them at this point.

3 Likes

Using blokada 5 on new note 20 ultra and i get 2h screen, and overall 12h battery life. So terrible. And it seems blokada consumes most of it!

Try disabling DNS over HTTPS and see again. On some devices it causes battery drain.

It’s been off since the beginning

To add i have the impression it could be related to auto photo upload from amazon photos. Any idea?
I have stopped blokada and amazon photos started immediately.

In addition the highest app blocked was a specific domain for amazon.

Oh yes, this sounds like the amazon photos app does not like to have no connection, and is being too aggressive with the retries, what is draining the battery. Do you see the same kind of behaviour with Blokada 4?

No. I did not have that issue. I also changed phone in between, but i did not have amazon photos being blocked all the time. Should i just enable it? Or what should be the solution.

Ive uploaded a screen shot

SmartSelect_20201208-142134_Blokada 5|283x500

Yes you can try unblocking it of course.