Disconnections on iOS when switching networks

Hey,

1. Where did you download Blokada from?
iOS App Store

2. Which device do you use? Do you use a custom ROM? Do you know which OS version you are using?
iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 15.1.

3. Please explain the issue as detailed as possible. Also include patterns you observed (like ‘it only happens on wifi’). The more information the better.
I’m facing some disconnection issues with Blokada Plus (VPN) when switching from a network to another (e.g. Wi-Fi to LTE). For example, when I’m leaving home to go to work, I have to wait a minute or two for Blokada to reconnect properly before being able to use my connection again.
The issue also happens sometimes when I’m waking up my phone after a long period of time with the screen off.
Also, I sometimes have difficulties to access the iOS App Store with VPN on.

4. Since when are you facing this issue?
Since the beginning : I’m only using the service since yesterday.

5. Did you already try to solve the issue somehow? If so: please state what you did.
I noticed that the issue is less visible when using the WireGuard official app which leads me to think that this happens because of the Blokada app.

Thanks !

Hello,

We are working on a new release for iOS which includes the new Blokada Cloud platform.
Please let us know if you’d like to join the beta test and provide feedback to see if it may solve your issue.

See the announcement here:

Hello,

Im experiencing the same issue. Can I join as well?

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the suggestion.
Unfortunately, it made things worse than before. Actually, I don’t have disconnections issues anymore and can access the Apple App Store properly.
However, the app doesn’t let me choose my DNS server. The menu which allows this is just nowhere to be found and I’ll be honest, I won’t blindly trust a DNS by default until I’ve seen which one I’m using.
And it definitely doesn’t block ads and trackers as well as the stable version.
I’m using this ad and tracker blocking test. When I’m using the stable version with the same blocklists, I get a 100% score. When I’m using the beta version, I get about 94% or so (again, with the same blocklists enabled). Even when I’m adding the domain to the app’s blacklist, it just doesn’t seem to refresh the domains it has to block.

I’m glad that the original issue was resolved by using the Blokada Cloud beta :slight_smile:

Blokada Cloud fundamentally changes everything even though it looks the same to you in the app.
The app itself is no longer doing the hard work of filtering and blocking, this is moved to Blokada servers instead.
For this to work, Blokada acts as the DNS service that your device queries. Due to this, you can’t change the DNS settings to query something else than Blokada.

Blokada Cloud doesn’t yet support wildcard filters (like *.example.com), this will be implemented in a future update and should make the blocking test results equivalent.

This is a side effect due to that filtering now happens on Blokada Cloud server side and because of how the DNS protocol works. Previously allowed domains will get cached for some time, your recent block will not appear to be present while cache is in effect.

However when doing the opposite to manually allow a previously blocked domain, it will take no more than 10 seconds for the allowance to kick in.

Thank you for your answer. It’s always nice have some follow-up, great job guys.

Blokada Cloud doesn’t yet support wildcard filters (like *.example.com), this will be implemented in a future update and should make the blocking test results equivalent.

Good to hear.

This is a side effect due to that filtering now happens on Blokada Cloud server side and because of how the DNS protocol works. Previously allowed domains will get cached for some time, your recent block will not appear to be present while cache is in effect.

Is this issue going to be fixed in future updates?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Blokada for iOS is payed now?

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.