Blokada for Android doesn't block ads in Chrome

For me v5.3.0 has never worked. The v5.4.0 and v5.5.0 only work if I use Blokada DNS.

I reported it in V.5.3 not blocking ads that v.5.2.1 blocks on tablet (Android 9)

I have not switched anything it has Cloudflare by default and itā€™s not secure in new versions for some reason. Then I tried AdGuard DNS and Blokada one that didnā€™t work. I installed beta version itā€™s the same but Blokada DNS in it is secure for some reason. So it kinda works.

Please stick to one thread for one issue

ROM and device?

Same thing is happening for me but my problem is that blokada is blocking DNS on Bromite. Even if I disable secure DNS its blocking the DNS. I wanna use Cloudflare dns but I cant. I can only fix it by turning off Blokada or clicking reload when on the dns error. Also it happens only on startup of the browser (for example when I close it from recents menu or 3 dots exit) And open it again.

Just choose cloudflare within Blokada and Bromite will use it as well

I already chose cloudflare before

I was having the same problem on version 5.5.0. No async DNS option and lite mode is off. Additionally, the secure DNS option was already set to current provider. Chrome version 87.0.4280.66 on Android 9 for reference.

The fix I found was to switch to the Blokada DNS.

Ads were not being blocked in Chrome when I used the Cloudflare or Google DNS. After switching, it seems to be working perfectly. This looks like a Blokada bug to me, not a Chrome issue.

2 Likes

It is strange that in the latest versions Blokada only works correctly if you use Blokada DNS. The latest version without problems is 5.2.1.

1 Like

Something broke again and 5.6 does not work with Blokada DNS then I install 5.5 it works again

1 Like

Same here, the only solution was to use Blokada DNS. How is this different from using Cloudflare or Google DNS?

1 Like

I confirm, with 5.6.0 not even ā€œBlokada DNSā€ works.
But I have verified that the problem is only with Chrome, from 5.3.0 to 5.6.0.

The problem is Chrome. After the introduction of ver 84 and up the Async DNS option is no longer in chrome://flags. You need to uninstall Chrome updates in you apps settings and install the last version 83 from a site like UptoDown. This brought back the Async DNS option and fixed the issue with ads coming through Chrome. Async DNS must be set to DISABLED.

Down side? Chrome canā€™t be updated till Google reintroduces the Async DNS option on later Chrome versions.
Link to old Chrome version apk hereā€¦

https://chrome.en.uptodown.com/android/download/2268249

Hope this solves everyoneā€™s problem! I have Blokada 4.11 and working fine with Chrome version 83.0.4103.106. Android 10, Samsung Galaxy A50.