IOS occasional VPN resets

Hi,

I experience occasional Blokada VPN resets. Usually, the connection is stable for a couple of minutes and then the “blocked ads/trackers” counter resets and the “connection time” in the VPN settings start from 0:00 again.

Setup:
Blokada: Libre, release 5.14
DNS: Digitale Gesellschaft (Switzerland)
Lists: OISD, Energized, Steven Black, Goodbye Ads
VPN connect on demand: active
IOS: 14.7.1

I’ve checked the logs and during the time of reset i can see the following:

09:26:49.876 NETX PacketTunnelProvider: disconnectVPN done
09:27:05.964 NETX PacketLoop: sleep
09:28:26.065 NETX PacketLoop: wake

Is this expected behaviour e.g. due to IOS app sleep or something similar?

thanks!

In my experience the last two are expected and nothing to be concerned about but the first message you shared is something to be worried about.
Hopefully this is not a RAM issue?

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, the first one got my attention as well. It’s running on a few month old Iphone 12 without any other issues. I believe a general RAM issue should visible with other random effects.

If this is not explainable with IOS itself, I would be willing to build from source and try to debug it.

Edit: Seems to be not only related to Blokada. I tried a real VPN tunnel and do not get a stable long time connection. Resets do happen here as well.

Edit2: Could be the iOS disconnect on sleep issue which affects many VPN apps, e.g. When my iPhone goes to sleep it stops running ProtonVPN - ProtonVPN Support
I could reproduce it on a different iPhone XR with iOS 14.7.1

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.