How to setup Blokada 5 to use default DNS from the internet provider?

Hello,

I’ve downloaded Blokada from blokada.org.

How can I can configure Blokada v5 to use the DNS from my internet provider? In the section Encryption > Dns I don’t see an entry like “default DNS provider”.

Thanks

Hello and welcome!

Curious why you’d like to have this feature? Are you facing issues with the available options?

It’s not available today but we may add it in the future.

We might want to use the adblock feature but still keep the default provider… That was possible with Blokada 4.

Yes, but why would you like to use it? Is it faster? Something that doesn’t work otherwise? Do you trust it more? Or something else?

The reason it wasn’t included is that it will take additional effort and that we activate encrypted dns by default. If there’s enough requests to add this feature and if there’s a specific issue that it solves, it will get higher priority

Hello,

this feature is missing for me as well.
Two reasons:

• List item
    My ISP use for IPTV private domain name that is not resovable by public DNS service.

• List item
    Some CDNs do balancing based on used DNS server, so in case of using generic DNS service I can be balanded to not optimal server in different country,

Thanks.

1 Like

Yes, I trust it more.

Don’t forget about people using Pi-hole or prefer DNS over TLS.

Do you know the particular domain name that it uses, perhaps even what DNS server that you will get it from?

Do you have an example of a website or a CDN where this happens so that we can examine the behavior?

Fair point, this could also be solved by a feature that disables Blokada automatically while on a specific WiFi.

DoT may be implemented in a future update. The reason why we prefer DoH to start with is that it’s more common for it to be allowed in firewalls and blend in more easily with the regular web traffic.

Would you trust a DNS service provided by Blokada without 3rd party dependencies? We are working on providing such a service soon. You may already use while on Blokada Plus

No, not really. I use it with my pihole server with to connect with 4g. Android cant do that by default. I revert to blokada 4. Ill see to modify the v5 source

Do you know the particular domain name that it uses, perhaps even what DNS server that you will get it from?

This was behavior LGI horizon.tv service.

Do you have an example of a website or a CDN where this happens so that we can examine the behavior?

Akamai CDN do it.
In case of using ISP DNS I am redirected to the CDN in my country, in case of using public DNS target usually follows country of DNS server. In extreme cases it could be another continent.
It can be simply tested by resolving www.akamai.com though various DNS servers.

1 Like

So I did this from Sweden with my ISP dns, Google DNS and Cloudflare DNS.
My ISP and Google resolved to 23.13.34.61, where Cloudflare resolved to 23.78.61.14.
The response times were 14ms vs 8ms. Cloudflare actually picked the faster one.

Even though iboth IPs are registered as US, the packets I sent clearly didn’t travel to the US.

I was able to visit horizon.tv without issues. However their API probably only accepts certain source IPs. Your source IP shouldn’t be affected unless you’re using Blokada Plus.

I would also like to disable the DNS by ”trusted” wifi. It seems I cannot use this app with a work related app while I’m at work. I have to disable this app while at work. I checked if it’s blocking any sites and it’s not, so it only leaves the DNS as the issue. If I could use default DNS at work automatically this would be great.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.