Do I have the latest version of Blokada?

Hello,
Please pardon if I’m asking a stupid or rather obvious or already answered elsewhere question, but I’d like to know how can I tell if I’m using the latest compatible version of Blokada 5 (says here “blokada/5.6.0 (android-29 full release arm64-v8a samsung a51 touch api compatible)”) and, if not, how do I update it? The other day I received a notification and clicked to update, but was shown no indication whatsoever that it actually updated (in starking contrast to previous times it did) and my internet connection is extremely precarious, so I’m afraid the download might have been aborted because the internet connection abruptly ceased half-way (or probably right at the beginning).

Q1. Where did you download Blokada from?
A1: The official Blokada website (I wasn’t aware that it could be downloaded from elsewhere)

Q2. Which device do you use? Do you use a custom ROM? Do you know which OS version you are using?
A2: Samsung Galaxy A51 with Android 10. No idea what a “custom ROM” is. Other than that it is Android 10, I’m afraid not.

Q3. Please explain the issue as detailed as possible. Also include patterns you observed (like ‘it only happens on wifi’). The more information the better.
A3: I was given the option to update to the latest release and clicked it, but nothing happened. Generally it reboots Blokada, as if reinstalling it, though the configurations always remain. Also, there was no indication that it even downloaded the update before (not) installing it.

Q4. Since when are you facing this issue?
A4: Can’t really say, it was a while ago, but I just decided to follow up on it today. Sorry, I wish I could be more specific. If I’m right and this isn’t the latest version of Blokada, I would assume the problem happened the day the Blokada version immediately subsequent to 5.6.0 was released.

Q5. Did you already try to solve the issue somehow? If so: please state what you did.
A5: I tried to see if there was a manual update button or a comment about it on the Blokada help forum, and didn’t find any. But admittedly, I might very well have missed it (wouldn’t be the first time).

1 Like

The latest version 5.8 is available on blakada.org. Just download and install Android app over your current version.

1 Like

@Jrmt Are you sure this will not erase my settings? Is there a way to save them beforehand? Will this resolve my problem permanently or will I have to manually check for and download updates from now on?

Installing a newer version normally does not affect data storage, not sure about the auto update question as it seems your situation is somewhat unique. You will know on Friday as 5.9 beta was released last Fri so 5.9 stable will be this coming.

You can always check if you are at the newest version by doing this:

Settings tab → This device → Tap on the update channel at the very bottom → if an update popup shows up, there is an update.

Blokada 5.8 is the newest on our website. If you downloaded from F-Droid or Google Play (both are having some significant delays at the moment), there is an older version there.

If when installing newer apk on top of your existing installation you get an error, it means you mixed up the channels and they are incompatible - you’ll have to uninstall first.

3 Likes

Auto-updated today to 5.9.0, so problem 100% resolved =)

BTW, thank you for everything, you’ve been very helpful and I hadn’t thanked you properly (sorry about that)

(0) Thank you for your time responding to my post, even though @Jrmt already had (and it just occurs to me that I didn’t thank him/her, how rude of me… sorry)

(1) You mean the line “Blokada 5: official channel”? I don’t remember seeing that when I was having the problem, did you add it post-5.6.0 or was its absence a symptom of my having a problem?

(2) I couldn’t find the version number on the website, just that it’s Blokada 5, where does it say 5.8? Also, I was under the impression that the Google Play Blokada was “Blokada Slim”? What is F-Droid?

(3) Thank you for sharing this fact, I wasn’t aware of it. But I always download directly from the official Blokada website, so I’m good — no error here, no loss of data either. Just out of curiosity, if I had downloaded from the wrong channel and gotten an error message, would all be lost or could I just download the newer .apk again, this time from the right channel?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.