Complete DNS failure after frequent switching between WiFi and Mobile networks

This is still an issue for me on blokada 5.11.1

Anytime I switch between wifi and cell service, my data stops working (when blokada is on) until I deactivate blokada (it also works if I then just re-enable quickly). But this makes it unusable at this point!

Please let me know where I can send my logs to help fix the problem. Thanks!

We’ve had our phones stuck on version 4 after I’d submitted 2 sets of logs. I’m guessing it’s hard to fix as it seemed something that was being investigated early on.

Could a developer please let us know if you’re unable to diagnose or reproduce the problem? I can also get more logs if helpful.

Thank you in advance.

(As an aside I recently tried blokada on a iPad only to find it doesn’t even work with local DNS :frowning: and I can’t use version 4 there)

You mentioned the problem is happening in version 5.11.1. I first saw it on 5.10.1 and didn’t have any problems before that version, after the “network DNS” feature was added.

Given that local DNS is the main reason people aren’t using version 5, I imagine there’s been some change in this area. Is anyone familiar with the code able to look at diffs between 5.10.1 and before please?

For me exactly the same problem. I have a Pixel 3a (one with google, latest software (android 11) and one wihtout google, CalyxOS, also latest version). Because of this problem i removed version 5 months ago, in version 4 the problem exists only when using blokada+ with the VPN. This renders the VPN unusable, because it’s very annoying when you look at the phone and you think “umm … so calm for hours” and then deactivate blokada and hundres of messages arrive …

@PrintableCharacter do to know if there’s been any chance to address this issue yet? Should we be trying version 5 again please?

Unluckily all of this is hardly reproducible to us. You may want to give the newest v5 beta a try but I cannot guarantee you anything as of right now :confused:
If it still doesn’t work, please commence providing us with logs. Maybe we can narrow all that down in the future

@PrintableCharacter Thanks I’ll retest it.

A few of us had asked if you needed more logs some time ago but you must have missed it, so I’ll be sure to mention your name next time.

Hello@blokada.org is always open for issue descriptions including logs :slight_smile:
We’ll have a look at all of them. It might take some time, you may not hear back from us due to the massive amount of information we receive but we surely try to figure things out. We’ll tell you as soon as we find something you could do to help us further :slight_smile:

@PrintableCharacter thanks, but please remember at least two of us had sent logs and you hadn’t responded to say you needed more.
In fact you had suggested we go back to version 4. So we were waiting to see a release note stating this bug was fixed.

@PrintableCharacter I’ve just installed version 5 (after going down a research rabbit-hole when reading the warning for version 5 on F-Droid. Transparency is good, so is critical feedback if it helps improve the product overall!) and the problem still happens. Nothing has changed. I sent a log.

When trying to reproduce the problem I suggest you block all access to external DNS (including for DoH for your chosen DNS provider - mine was CloudFlare) with your router. This means you will quickly know when “network DNS” isn’t working.

After doing this and setting up Blokada 5 to prefer network DNS with DNS encryption off you should disable wifi on you smartphone. Load a new website, then re-enable wifi and test again.

Back to version 4 for me.

Can any of the other affected users please re-test version 5 and submit a log to hello@blockada.org ?