This is a very long standing issue for me, which doesn’t really have a clear method to reproduce, but I will describe it as best as I can.
Where did you download Blokada from?
The Blokada website.
Which device do you use? Do you use a custom ROM? Do you know which OS version you are using?
Several devices, but the problem is only present on my Samsung Galaxy S7 running Android 8. I use Blokada 4.15, as Blokada 5 lacks features I need. The issue was also present on two similar other phones that I had replaced, a Galaxy S7 running Android 7, and a Galaxy S6 running Android 7, so it seems the issue is affecting older versions of Android only.
Please explain the issue as detailed as possible.
Occasionally, at seemingly random times, when I attempt to block an allowed request from the Host Log, I get a message similar to “Some lists could not have been loaded, please select less lists”. Whenever this is happening, I notice that the custom rule was added, but the requests are still allowed, and additionally to that, many other blocked domains from custom rules, like for example, graph.facebook.com, will be allowed (much to my disappointment). Some domains will still be blocked, but many domains that are blocked will go through. Blocks from DNS filtering will still work, though. When this happens, the issue is only fixed if I kill Blokada’s process and re-start the application, then it starts blocking everything normally.
This doesn’t seem to be a RAM problem, as I have a bare minimum of lists subscribed. Blokada claims it is configured with 242478 rules currently, and my device allows a max of 192 MB of memory for each app. I even use an app called KillApps to quickly kill many unnecessary running app processes, and I have rules set for Android Power Monitor to leave most apps always sleeping. Of course Blokada is an exception to that, so it is always running, and always allowed to use data on the background. Only a bare minimum of apps are running on that phone, even on the background.
- I always have Battery Saving enabled on that device. Blokada is configured to never sleep, and always be allowed to run and use data on the background.
- I have Blokada set up as a locked window, and its button configured on the notification drawer.
- I have Blokada set up as an Always On VPN.
- The only lists I have enabled on this device are Energized Blu, and two small custom lists for Facebook and Google related domains.
- I have ControlD’s legacy ipv4 addresses configured as DNS server, and I have the “Alternative DNS answer” option enabled.
- I am not subscribed to Blokada Plus (would appreciate cheaper, traffic based options)
- Since when are you facing this issue?
For as long as I can remember on this device. The issue is long standing.
Can’t share a log as for some reason, the app refuses to export it.