BETA feature: Advanced adblocking rules

This only applies to Blokada 4.

The ‘Advanced adblocking rules’ Feature is a Beta Feature you can activate if you tap Ad blocking / Ad blocking settings / Advanced adblocking rules. By enabling this feature you get access to a very powerful additional option to block or allow many domains at once.

You can add an entry to Ad blocking / Blocked Hosts or Allowed Hosts. An entry needs to look like one of the following examples:

• You can use an Asterisk (*) to block all subdomains of a domain.
    E.g.: *.example.com.
    This will block all requests ending with .example.com. This means a domain like news.example.com wouldn’t be accessed anymore.
  • A request like news.123example.com would still be accessed when using .example.com. If you want to block that domain as well, you simply set *example.com as rule in Blocked Hosts.
  • You cannot block a top-level domain. E.g.: *.com. This won’t be allowed by the app.

If you are using this feature, please tell us why you are using it in the comments.

Bt the way: you can also import a file including wildcards (advanced ad blocking rules) in Blokada.

Please note, that you can enable only one BETA feature at the same time at the moment. Either Advanced Adblocking rules or Smart List.

6 Likes

Hey guys:)
I tried to set up this article about the Advanced Ad blocking rules. Could someone please review it? I am not certain about the usage of technical terms and whether I forgot a case?
Thank you in advance:)!

Yes this looks very good, I have no objections

2 Likes

A few days later when it came up I started to use it and it’s working just fine. I have a old phone with not so much Gig memory, 4 to be exact. I’m soon shall put in a other OS from XDA, but for now I have:
Xiaomi Mi Max 2 / Android 7.1.1 Miui10 Global Beta

2 Likes

Hello:)!
Very cool. Any specific domains you use these rules for?

How do you mean? Blokada is always on. It works in most app’s. Don’t remember what paper app it has no chance, maybe Reuter. You can see the Ad’s in Google chrome but you can’t click them. In many of the Web sites who selling things, there’s no Ad’s with Blokada. I haven’t any problems with FB twitter or telegram.
Edit /I love beta and when it comes up, I’m using it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Aha, well as long as you don’t manually add specific wildcards, the feature is not doing anything. As Host lists don’t include them.Then I’d recommend to enable Smartlist instead:)
I am happy that Blokada works this well for you:D!

1 Like

This was the latest beta and of course do I using it. The other working fine that to

Awesome, 1001 rules is pretty neat for Smartlist:D
Don’t forget to use the ‘clean’ function from time to time. It will remove all obsolete entries which are no longer included in any of your selected Host list :).

1 Like

Found a bug today. Updates from Google play. It started when I should eat and when I came back it was still trying to update :smiley: I turned down Blokada and then it worked.
I have set Blokada to start when I turn on the phone and it has the whole phone to play with. I mean, you’re from XDA!

Okay, hmm… next time please check your Host log for Google-related domains that are blocked. If this happens again, be welcome to open a topic in our Support section.

2 Likes
  • You can use an Asterisk (*) to block all subdomains of a domain.
    E.g.: *.example.com .
    This will block all requests ending with .example.com . This means a domain like news.example.com wouldn’t be accessed anymore.
  • A request like news.123example.com would still be accessed when using .example.com . If you want to block that domain as well, you simply set *example.com as rule in Blocked Hosts.
  • You cannot block a top-level domain. E.g.: *.com . This won’t be allowed by the app.

Will asterisk block all subdomains? For example, the rule
*.bidr.io
will it block eu-west-1.bid.bidr.io?
will it block bidr.io as well?

1 Like

Hey there and a warm welcome to this community:)
For the first question: yes, all subdomains will be blocked.
if you add *.abc.com everything not containing .abc.com won’t be blocked, meaning ‘abc.com’ will not be blocked, as the dot is missing.

1 Like

Don’t really understand where you can do that in the beta? Is it if you have the :heavy_plus_sign:? All I can do is to use the adblocks and block on the list.

heyhey:)
It can be found on v4: Ad blocking / Ad blocking settings / Blokada Labs. Remember you can either enable Advanced Ad blocking rules OR Smart list.
Edit: So you cannot yet do this in v5.

3 Likes

you cannot yet do this in v5.

Thanks for mention it. I thought about upgrade from v4 to v5 but after your comment will not do it yet :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have another question about wildcards. Will it work that way and how?

awaps.yandex.*
(awaps.yandex.com, awaps.yandex.ru, awaps.yandex.example.com?)

fls-*.amazon-adsystem.com
(fls-eu.amazon-adsystem.com, fls-test.subdomain.amazon-adsystem.com?)

2 Likes

Hey:)
good question, sorry for the late answer:
They both are not valid. If you try to enter it in Blokada you receive an ‘invalid’ answer and cannot add this domain.
Feel free to open a Feature request for it in our Feedback category.

4 Likes

Good

تطبيق جميل جدا