V.5.3 not blocking ads that v.5.2.1 blocks on tablet (Android 9)

@PrintableChracter

Have you ever had a noise in your engine that drove you nuts, but when you took it to a mechanic, it purred like a kitten. That’s how I feel. I spent from the 15th to the 20th (I remember because it was my older brother’s anniversary) trying every which way I could to get 5.3 to block ads. Nada. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled 5.2.1, and in a fit of pique, deleted my copy of 5.3.0.

Since then, there have been three changes… 1) Chrome updated on the 23rd of October and Google updated 2 days ago, 2) I downloaded 5.3.0 APK from the beta channel on Oct. 26th because I figured you would need a log file at some point and I would have to upgrade to it in order to get that log file, and 3) today, I enabled the two flags in Chrome for Enhanced Safe Browsing, although I did not change the resulting setting in “Privacy and Security” from the default of “Standard”.

Want to guess what happened when I update my 5.2.1 to that 5.3.0 I downloaded on the 26th? Of course, it now works precisely as it should, blocking virtually all ads without difficulty, and where the Activity list showed no red shields the first time I updated to 5.3.0, it now shows a massive amount of red shields. (I just checked to be sure I wasn’t imagining things and no, ads are being blocked all over the web.)

Gregg in Sackville, NB

Follow up… v.5.3.0 stopped blocking ads again, after a reboot. Since I posted the above, v.5.4.0 beta was released, so I tried updating 5.2.1 to that. It seemed to be working fine, until again,I rebooted my tablet, at which point, 5.4.0 stopped blocking at least 75% of ads that 5.2.1 blocked. So, backto5.2.1 I went.

Same for me 9T Pro on MIUI 10.3.4 Android 9, version 5.3 does not block ads at all so I rolled back to 5.2.1

This conversation isn’t helping as long as we don’t have logs. Please provide me with logs in my PMs. Until then this discussion is closed.

Please wait for us to analyse your logs

I specify that I have sent via e-mail the logs but I have not solved anything.
Stable v5.2.1 works fine.
Stable v5.3.0 does not block ads. You suggested to switch off Private DNS: nothing has changed.
Beta v5.4.0 does not block ads. You suggested to switch off Data Saver, but it was already deactivated: nothing has changed.
I was forced to install the stable v5.2.1 again.
Hope the next stable v5.4.0 blocks ads.
Huawei P Smart FIG-LX1 Android 9 EMUI 9.1.

thank you v.m. I had answer to You. Greatings from Pitt😍

Like Stefano, I have sent logs from 5.4.0. Private DNS is Off (as it has been since it was mentioned here some while back) and Data Saver has no bearing, as my tablet only has wifi, and, to the best of my knowledge, Data Saver doesn’t affect wifi. After all that I have tried, 5.3.0 worked for about 24 hours, then returned to not blocking many ads that 5.2.1 blocks successfully. V.5.4.0 never worked properly,installed as an update to 5.2.1, or clean. Like Stefano, I have resorted to v.5.2.1.

It’s rather exhausting to always ask for precise issue descriptions and logs if available

@PrintableCharacter

It is equally exhausting to be asked repeatedly for information which I have provided. In the case of “precise issue description”, I have posted this at least, I believe, 4 times, in several different topics, the last time, to a Peter. I sent my 5.4.0 log file in that same thread to him, and, to be honest, got the same stock replies re: Private DNS etc.

If you look back to my OP in this topic, you will find a detailed description of the issue, along with details (posted later) as to the various things I tried in order to narrow the problem.

To that end, as I posted in the Community and in that thread with Peter earlier today, it would appear, based on the commonality of information in multiple posts regarding the problem, that it occurs when using Android 9. One poster said he was on Android 10, but all others with the same problem, say they are on Android 9. Along with this, as I have said several times, my phone doesn’t have the issue, and is using Android 8.1.

If you are unable to trace my postings in the Community, or the thread with Peter (my request 2214 ), I will gladly once more, post the details, and if needed, will again update to 5.4.0 and send the log from that.

Gregg in Sackville, NB

Do not create multiple posts about the same issue.
Stick to one post for one issue on one platform

I have been at this (beta testing for various programmes, drivers, and even operating systems) to know enough to not start multiple threads on the same topic. However, I learned long ago that, if another poster puts up a thread on the same or a similar bug or problem, they deserve to be told that they are not alone and that adding to their discussion may he’ll shred some light on the issue (such as finding out that Android 9 is a commonality to the various reports).

The logical thing to do is to combine the new thread with an existing one, however, I suspect that only a moderator would have such a privilege.

Gregg in Sackville, NB

@PrintableCharacter… it is not my intention to bother you, however, I would like to know if 1) you were able to locate my posts either on the community, or with Peter regarding the issue description, or 2) you were able to locate the log which I sent to Peter?

Additionally, I don’t know if you can answer or not… another post suggested that turning off Data Saver would help with ad blocking. My Android 9 tablet does not have a setting for Data Saver, as it only has wifi and my understanding is that the Data Saver (setting?) is not available for wifi, only mobile data. I do, however, have a setting in Data Usage, under Blokada 5, for “Unrestricted Data Usage”. Do you know if that setting would affect tge proper functioning of 5.4.0?

Well, it is only 2 days running 5.4.0 beta, and today, updating to 5.4.0 release on he beta channel. Before each update, I Forced Stop Blokada and cleared the cache (in Settings… Apps) for Chrome, Google and Blokada. In addition, prior to updating from 5.2.1 to 5.4.0 beta, I turned on the setting mentioned in my post above, I.E. I turned on “Unrestricted Data Usage” for Blokada 5 in the details section of Data Usage.

I can’t guarantee that this is the answer to getting 5.4.0 to properly block ads under Android 9 for others who have posted with the problem. If you care to try it, the steps are as follows:

1. In Settings… Apps…All Apps, find Chrome, select Storage, and clear the cache.
  2. Do the same for Google
  3. locate Blokada 5, Force Stop it from running (ignore the warning), then follow the above steps to clear it’s cache
  4. Update Blokada to 5.4.0.
  5. Restart your phone or tablet.

Once you update, activate Blokada 5 and then check to be sure your other settings carried forward. In my case, I used Cloudflare (DoH) for the first 12 hours, then changed the DNS setting to Blokada (DoH). So far, 5.4.0 has been successfully bloking all ads, as 5.2.1 did.

I don’t know if this will work for you, but it is worh a try.

Gregg

It has been a week, and Blokada 5.4.0, using Blokada DNS (DoH), has been running perfectly fine. It blocks virtually all ads. I have noticed a slight increase in battery use, however, the past week, I have also editing the current variation of my KWGT home page widget, so perhaps not a fair test. Irregardless, Blokada 5.4.0 is now working more than satisfactory. Thank you for all the help…

1 Like

I have the same problem. I’m on android 9 and every version after Blokada v5.2.1 does not work.
I also tried the method GreggH suggested without success.
When I click activate in Blokada, the activity list also does not log any urls anymore. When going back to v5.2.1 everything works again…

edit: here is the log: 13:24:00.043 *** *************** ***13:24:00.051 *** - Pastebin.com

1 Like

Hello, Blokada is not blocking ads in Apps installed from Huawei AppGallery.
Is there any Solution?