iMessage does not work when VPN is enabled but works when it is off

iMessage does not work when VPN is enabled but works when it is off.
I’ve faced this issue on my 12 Mini since i started using blokada, i’m finally coming around to asking for help. I’ve even disabled all lists and it still won’t work. How can i fix this?

Lastest Blokada from the app store (6.2 i believe) and i’ve experienced this on ios 15.0 to 15.4

off topic but i also noticed that if i use another vpn temporarily and then try to use blokada i have to go into the vpn tab in ios settings to get blokada going again, is that normal?

Hi there,

Could you describe your problem a little bit more? What are you trying to do, and what is not working?

Same problem here. I first thought it was the DNS that blocked iMessages but it’s definitely the VPN.

We’re doing nothing special, just turning on Blokada Plus on the app and we just can’t receive iMessages anymore (and some other push notifications either, actually).

Which is funny because when I’m using the Wireguard app, everything works just like a charm.

Then, when we stop Blokada Plus on the app, we’re receiving all missed iMessages and push notifs at once.

1 Like

^^ this

Hi guys.

Did you recently start to experience this or has it been ongoing for some time?
Have you tried switching to a different Blokada Plus location to see if it changes anything?
Also interesting to know if you’re experiencing this while on WiFi as well as mobile data?
Does it always occur as soon as you toggle VPN on? E.g. easy to reproduce?

Next time it happens, you could also try to toggle airplane mode just for 5-10 seconds and see if it resolves the issue.

And this is with the same location selected as well as with Blokada Cloud as the DNS?

Hi balboah,

I’ll try to be as clear as possible for my own case :

Did you recently start to experience this or has it been ongoing for some time?

It didn’t appear with the last version of Blokada, if that’s what you mean. I remember that I had this issue before the release of Blokada 6, that’s one of the reasons why I always used the WireGuard app instead of Blokada.

Have you tried switching to a different Blokada Plus location to see if it changes anything?

Back in the time when I used Blokada 5, I remember that I only chose locations other than my own country. Now, with Blokada 6, I’m only using my country as the location of the VPN but the issues keeps going on.

Also interesting to know if you’re experiencing this while on WiFi as well as mobile data?

I am unsure, to be honest. I’d say both. I vividly remember that I experienced this while using my mobile data. I think that it happened when connected to home Wi-Fi also but I would wait for @Nexinity 's experience to confirm that.

Does it always occur as soon as you toggle VPN on? E.g. easy to reproduce?

Yes, definitely. As far as I remember, as I said before, I noticed the issue with Blokada 5 back in the days and when version 6 was released, I tested the app to see if I could replace WireGuard by the official Blokada app and it happened again.

And this is with the same location selected as well as with Blokada Cloud as the DNS?

As said before, the location matters not in my experience.

2 Likes

Can confirm i have all the same experiences

Thanks for confirming. We will take this information with us and try to adress this in a future release.

It would also help if you could let us know if this happens only when using WiFi or when on mobile data or it’s always occurring.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.