How to enable VPN based adblocking without changing the dns entry?

I would like to know how I can turn on purely vpn based adblocking without changing my dns settings.

2 Likes

Hey @antispam ,

Thanks for posting, are you subscribed to Blokada Plus?

If yes, you can just switch from Adblocking mode (Blue mode) to the VPN mode ( orange mode) by clicking the toggle below the power button.

I don’t have this option.
And yes, I am a plus user after you guys signed me up automatically for another year without explicitly asking me. The first time I got the plus version, it was voluntarily and donation based.

I only get this option once I enable this dogshit unreliable dns. I can’t have a dns set as a default that’s not reliable. Literally costs me money if I miss important meetings because of that.

2 Likes

Hi @antispam ,

It sounds like you may have activated the auto-renewal by accident when subscribing, it is automatic because you probably checked that option.

I’m not entirely sure what the issue you’re facing is, so if you can give a clear explanation of what you’re trying to do and what’s not working with a few screenshots, I’ll be able to take a closer look.

P.S: Please make sure to not use offensive language since it may result in warnings and ultimately a permanent ban from the community.

It sounds like you may have activated the auto-renewal by accident when subscribing, it is automatic because you probably checked that option.

No, I made a manual donation/ bank transfer the first time.
But never mind, I won’t complain about that. I could have complained and gotten it cancelled once it renewed, but chose to keep it.

I’m not entirely sure what the issue you’re facing is, so if you can give a clear explanation of what you’re trying to do and what’s not working with a few screenshots, I’ll be able to take a closer look.

I can’t use blokada vpn. The vpn option only shows up if I change my androids default dns server. I don’t want to change my default dns server, especially not to the very unreliable blokada dns server.

P.S: Please make sure to not use offensive language since it may result in warnings and ultimately a permanent ban from the community.

My apologies, but it is truly horrendous and not reliable. It caused me a few outages in very important meetings.

That happens when I want to enable vpn/activate blokada.

This is how it looks before pressing activate.

Yes, I am logged in and plus user. The option just doesn’t show until I change my dns.

On a sidenote, how can I make sure I am not signed up for automatic renewal?
I have never paid with google play. Manage subscriptions leads me to playstore, where I have never signed up for it.

Thanks for sharing this screenshot, it’s very helpful.

Once you click on continue, you should have a pop-up message allowing you to copy the DNS hostname → click on copy → go to settings → More connections settings → Private DNS → Paste the hostname

That should solve the issue.

Since you have subscribed through our website, you can manage your subscription by going to the dashboard (app.blokada.org).

Please let me know if you need further assistance disabling auto-renewal.

@Reda_Labdaoui I explained to you multiple times I don’t want to use the blokada dns ever again as I can’t trust and rely on it.

The steps you outlined to me are not working. I just want to use VPN without having to change my DNS server

Hello,

Blokada 6 utilizes our cloud service for filtering ads and trackers: when you access a website or app, the DNS query is processed in the cloud to determine if it should be filtered. This approach ensures Blokada is both performance and battery-efficient and complies with Google Play policies and broader device compatibility.

However, this method means that to benefit from Blokada 6’s filtering capabilities, our DNS settings needs to be in use.

If you’re looking for ad blocking that operates directly on your device without altering your DNS settings in this way, Blokada 5 might be more aligned with your needs.You can download Blokada 5 directly from our website at blokada.org.

Please let us know if there are specific aspects of our DNS service you find unreliable, we’re always looking for ways to improve the service.

3 Likes

Thank you. While I understand all your reasons, and especially understand the cost aspect, it still would have been nice to still give a user that option in blokada 6.

The issue with the DNS server was, that it often proved very unreliable. Thus preventing me from accessing the internet and causing plenty of disruptions.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.