Cloud vs. Chromebook - making progress but cannot complete the setup

Hi. Yes, the 2 flags that come up when you search chrome flags for DNS are the 2 that I enabled. Next, go to ChromeOS Settings. Then: “Security and Privacy”. You should now see: “Use secure DNS”. Turn it on (slider). Select: “With - Custom”. You should now be able to paste the hostname provided by the cloud app. Then check it by using Ad Blocker Test. And by checking your Blokada Dashboard: Blokada Dashboard - the popular mobile adblocker and VPN for Android and iOS. Let me know! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Marcus!

Thanks, I missed the Secure DNS aspect the first time around however, unfortunately even after enabling the DNS flags and setting the secure DNS with what is provided be the Cloud app, I’m still unable to move forward from there. The issue is actually multi-faceted. ChromeOS DOES NOT like the format of what is provided by Blokada Cloud (see below). If I add “https://” in front of what the Cloud app provides, ChromeOS stops complaining about the format but at that point I don’t have any internet connection let alone any ad blocking(see 2nd image below). I also tried this with what was provided by Blokada Cloud on my phone, with the same result. If I ignore the “Enter a correctly formatted URL” message, not only do most sites not work (but strangely, not all) but the Blokada Cloud app still wants me to change my DNS setting and therefore won’t let me activate the app/ad blocking services. I ran the test you provided but didn’t get very far with it, as it became immediately clear that it wasn’t working the way it should.

Regardless, I appreciate your help. I’m still hopeful. I would think that if you’re able to get this working on your Chromebook, surely I should be able to as well; makes and models shouldn’t matter, correct? AFAIK ChromeOS is ChromeOS… The only thing I can think of that would make for any meaningful difference from one CB to the next is processor. Is yours ARM-based or x86_64 based?

Thanks again!

Sorry, I provided 1 wrong bit of info. The correct hostname needs to come from here instead (NOT from the app):

1. Open the Blokada dashboard on your chromebook in your browser. Blokada Dashboard - the popular mobile adblocker and VPN for Android and iOS
  2. Go to SETUP
  3. “What type of device you wish to set up?” Choose Chrome
  4. “Name your device (optional)” add ________
  5. Copy the provided hostnmame and paste THAT one into your ChromeOS settings → Security and Privacy → Use secure DNS → Custom
    It will look like this: https://cloud.blokada.org/yourcode/yourdevicename
    That SHOULD work. :slight_smile:
1 Like

@Marcus_Geier

Sorry for the crazy long delay but I actually just tried following your instructions and I think I followed them pretty closely bc it seemed like I was just about to succeed because when I entered the URL as you instructed, I finally didn’t get an error message. Not only that but sites don’t break however, the Blokada 6 app does not recognize this as being the case so I can’t configure it and therefore am unable to score above like some points with the Adblocker test that you linked previously. I saw you mentioned in another thread that after working for several months Chrome OS was no longer allowing you to utilize Blokada of cloud is that still the case and is that why I’m having difficulty or do you have any other Insight that you could possibly share? Thanks in advance for your time and d help thus far!

PS see attached screenshots to exactly what I’m talking about