Blokada doesn't remove the placeholders of ads

Hiding the spaces that were supposed to contain an ad in webpages is called “cosmetic filtering” and unfortunately, due to how Blokada works (host blocking), cosmetic filtering isn’t possible with the app. Hiding those spaces requires opening every transaction, identifying where the ads were supposed to be, and remove them while reflowing the page. Since Blokada doesn’t open your content, it can’t do this.

If you want to have cosmetic filtering, we recommend to use an extensible browser and an ad blocking extension like Adblock Plus, uBlock origin or some other available for your browser of choice.

1 Like

I had gotten this app, and did not like this exact issue. Has anything changed since June?? I like the app for preventing ads, but do not like the “page couldn’t load” errors all over the place. Also, popups on websites still occured but the site itself would fail to load, which is great, but the pop-up is the issue. I think these are JavaScript redirects idk the lingo for sure, but maybe you can educate me on what I can do about these maybe even get a second app to compliment blokada??

Thank you for your time!!

Bradley you are correct and no, those placeholders can’t be removed by apps like Blokada.

You have to look at the browser to remove these things.