Important beta releases: Blokada Cloud, Blokada 5.17 for Android

Just did some testing with Blokada Cloud and a few third party VPN’s but still got ads. Is this a known issue? I saw that ads should be bloked according to the “What is Blokada Cloud?” post. However, Blokada Cloud itself works flawlessly by itself on my 12 Mini with the installed profile :slight_smile:

This does not work on iOS unfortunately because you would use the DNS from the VPN provider instead, even when you installed the Blokada Cloud profile.

The behavior on Android is different, which allows this kind of setup.

Unfortunate, is/will there be a workaround for this?

It would only be possible if the VPN provider you choose supports configuring DoH or DoT similar to how Blokada v5 allows this. iOS doesn’t use the system dns configuration when a VPN is connected, while Android does.

I applied a domain name into Exceptions.
But, using Blokada Cloud or WireGuard vpn with Blokada-Cloud profile, after more than two hours I still get denied access to the domain and it is still listed red in the activity list.

1 Like

Please double check that the exception is exactly the same name as listed in activity.
You can allow a blocked entry directly from the activity feed by clicking it → “add to block/allow”.

I have removed and included in the list of exceptions the domain www.ebay.it, following the suggested method.
I tried to connect to ebay,
I was denied access,
but now in the list of activities www.ebay.it was green.
The next time I connected to ebay, again access denied, and
in the activity list www.ebay.it was red.
So i think that to connect to ebay I have to disable the vpn with Blokada Cloud.
Thanks.

1 Like

One bug was fixed today which would be for the following flow:

• domain was blocked from configured blocklist(s)
  • you added custom allow exception
  • domain is allowed
  • you removed custom allow exception
  • did not revert back to original block behavior but was instead allowed

This may be related to what you experience

I added custom allow exception, but in the
activity list the custom allowed domain is still shown red
and the domain is blocked.

Meanwhile, on my MacOS 10.14.6, due to this problem,
I found out that when i disconnect the “Wireguard vpn with Blokada Cloud”, I can connect to the above custom blocked domain
although also the Blokada Cloud profile is installed,
i.e., it seems that Blokada Cloud does not work on MacOS 10.14.6 without the Wireguard vpn (as stated, if I understand correctly, in a previous comment about the iOS system).

Was it block or allow that you added in your custom config?

Which blocklist(s) do you have active?
Is it still www.ebay.it that you’re testing against?

How are you testing if you can connect?
I’m on macOS myself (11.6) and Safari picks up the configuration just fine in my case. However other apps might not.

I added www.ebay.it in the Exceptions list under allow with the dashboard (green color).
I have active the following Blocklists:
OISD and DuckDuckGo Tracker Radar

But, in the activity list the domain www.ebay.it is shown red.

When Wireguard vpn with Blokada Cloud is active:
I test the connection trying to connect with the browser Vivaldi on MacOS 10.14.6 (but also using my android phone with vivaldi the connection to www.ebay.it is blocked).
Also with Safari the connection to www.ebay.it is blocked.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, I’m able to reproduce this issue and will look into it.

Update

Bug has been squashed :muscle:

2 Likes