Blokada cloud combined with DoH router (fritz box) does not block ads

Hello,

1. I’m using blokada cloud on my fritz box internet router (latest version 7.29). My router works with DNS over TLS. blokada cloud is using the following block lists: OISD, Goodby Ads and Exodus Privacy
    My PC is running with Win10 and chrome browser, connected to my internet router.
    My Google 6 phone is running Android 12 with wireguard blokada cloud, connected via router to internet. Router and wireguard app are using same blokada cloud setup.
  2. I’m using my Win1 10 PC to view some websites
  3. I noticed a lot of ads on my pc. So I tested my config with the following site to ensure ad blocking is working: https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.htm This site says, that only 22% of hosts are blocked.
    After that, i retried the ad test with my Andoid Google Pixel 6 phone, this results in 90% blocked hosts.
    If i reload the ad test, blokada cloud shows a lot of new blocking website under activity. But it seems, that this site are not blocked on my router.
    But if i change DoT Server from blokada to security-filter -dns cleanbrowsing org or dns adguard com, DoT is working well. (Broken links due to maximum of 2 links for new users.)
  4. The problem occurs since I’ve tried to use Blokada cloud on may router.
  5. I don’t know how to fix this problem, so please help me to improve DoT on my router.

Many thanks to Carol, your cloud solution is much, much more better than your app and works like a charm!

Thanks a lot, Markus

Because your router only supports DoT and not DoH, this will not function on your router. so you need to work on that.

1 Like

Hello,

Double check if it’s DoT or DoH that your router supports, you say DoH in the subject but DoT in the description.
If it’s DoT, please ensure that your DoT configuration in the router matches the same “private dns” setting that you use in your Android device. Do not try DoH settings for the DoT configuration and vice versa.

DoH looks like: https://cloud.blokada.org/your_id/
DoT looks like: your_id.cloud.blokada.org

You also mention that you use WireGuard on your android which makes me assume you’re a Blokada Plus user.
Then you might want to try running WireGuard on Windows, which includes the Blokada Cloud settings even if your router doesn’t want to play along. This will also improve your security as all traffic will be encrypted before it leaves your PC.

Thank you for supporting Blokada!

1 Like

Many thanks to all your help and replies. I will wait for DoT update for my router or use wireguard instead.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.