Blokada 5 vs Blokada 6

It’s written in the comparison table:
Blokada 5 works on Android 5 and above :wink:

Yes, but I was asking whether this was a typo or for real. I had always been told that Blokada 4 was for Android 5 or newer and Blokada 5 was for Android 7 or newer, recently I heard someone say the latest B5 versions didn’t work on anything older than Android 9.

EDIT: I just realised I hadn’t seen @Reda_Labdaoui’s answer to that (post 12) when I posted this :$ my bad, sorry

1 Like

I updated from version 5.21.0 to 5.22.Q3D and at least on my S21 Ultra it seems to work fine, but it’s Android 12.

Also all the settings, blocklists, rules, logs, etc. have been adopted correctly.

Screenshot of the Settings section (at the bottom):

Checksums of blokada5-22q3d.apk are…

MD5: 45:3a:0d:c6:0f:bd:01:3b:2c:b5:ef:45:bf:2a:c2:30

SHA1: 6c:73:39:9d:5b:26:cd:2a:78:53:af:2e:b9:c3:e6:4c:c7:e3:fd:20

SHA256: 88:db:b6:ce:43:e0:2a:15:b2:9b:2e:ea:40:b0:04:ee:19:80:61:1c:92:21:33:c3:ce:75:32:2c:ec:a0:e7:e0

2 Likes

I have been a paid member for blokada for quite some time now and recently upgraded to 6.2.0. Great work! At least Netflix is unblocked. Just a quick question, when I visit the what’s my IP address websites, they’re showing my exact location and not the selected vpn location. In blokada 5 the website showed my location as NY when I opted for NY location in the app. Not sure if that is something that’s changed. I also couldn’t find the option to show the always on vpn in my notifications. Maybe the options have been moved or something?

I’m currently on Xiaomi 10 running Android 12 running miui 13

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification @Reda_Labdaoui

1 Like

Yes we are changing the requirements a bit. Our idea is as following:

• Blokada 6 is for Android 9 or higher
  • Blokada 5 is for Android 5 or higher

So for Blokada 5 we have actually just lowered the requirement (from Android 7 to 5), to try to cover for the same range of devices as Blokada 4. Just keep in mind we haven’t tested if the oldest devices indeed can run B5. We are looking for the feedback on this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The option you are looking for is called “Keep alive” and you can Find it in Blokada → Settings tab → This device.

Regarding the VPN, it depends if you are running in the Cloud mode (blue color) or Plus mode (orange color). The former sets up a private DNS for you, and the latter sets up the VPN.

2 Likes

Thank you for reporting back. If you are willing to help debug this problem I would be happy to provide you with a special apk build that will let me identify what is the reason for the freeze you are experiencing. Please PM me in this case.

Also anyone experiencing similar issue and willing to help troubleshoot it, feel free to PM me.

3 Likes

When I want to select a certain dns server in the networks, one has a flat lock and the other has a crossed out lock. Why is this? The crossed out padlock dns is not working or what?

The locked are encrypted (DoH) while the others are not. All work… some support encryption in DNS, while the ones with the crossed out lock don’t.

1 Like

Oh, thank you!

What about Blokada 5S? It’s the version I currently have installed from Play Store.

Please read the quoted text

I too have same problem with 6 freezing and locking my phone up

Blokada 6.0 (from play Store) or 5 (from the Blokada web site? If it is the latter, my suggestion would be to download again. Doing so should give you Blokada 5, v. 22q3f, which is the most recent version of 5 and is what fixed my problems with Blokada 5 on Android 8.1.

If you have downloaded from Play Store, then you actually have Blokada 6. I am afraid that i can’t help with that since i don’t use it.

Edit: one thing i dislike about the web site is there is no indication of a version update. I just checked, and sure enough, there is a newer version, v.22307, which shows in Blokada as “blokada/22.3.7”. Sorry about that. I should have checked before posting.

1 Like

Hello,
i am new to Blokada and just installed the Blokada 5 App (Version 22.3.8) from F-Droid on my Samsung Android 12 phone.

On Github there are also two apk’s to download (app escaped-release.apk and blokada-v22308.apk).

Is it possible this is Blokada 5 and 6 on Github to download ?

If so, what are the differences between Blokada 5 on F-Droid, Blokada.org and Github ?
And between Blokada 6 on Github and the Google Play Store.

And my second question is about using Blokada 5 or 6 (not the Plus version) with another VPN App.
I use Cyberghost VPN. I tried it , but it didnt work.
When the Cyberghost VPN app is running and I activate Blokada 5, the Cyberghost App gets deactivated.
If i read it correctly, it should work…

Can someone help me with that ?
Thank you,
Matt

Blokada 6 is only available on Google Play Store, it is recommended to install Blokada 5 through our website only.

Blokada doesn’t support third-party apps (VPN or DNS resolvers)

Less liberal/WEF/NWO controlled locations would be preferred.

Why is Blokada 6 not free?

Because the service it provides costs money!? Servers have to be paid, etc…
With Blokade 5 filtering happens on device, for Blokada 6 (DNS) servers are required. It is the same reason why the VPN functionality is not free.

1 Like