Blokada 5 for Android: Beta (finished)

It should be separate vpn profiles but Android is very quirky in this. Try removing all Blokada profiles you may have and restart your device.

The next update will install over v4 (no more alongside installs), so this will eliminate such issues.

1 Like

It would be nice if the shortcut switch is placed back at the pulldown notification window. Having to hit back button as many times as I’ve moved over different tabs is rather annoying too, but it’s UI issue I’m sure it’ll get fixed.

1 Like

Could you elaborate which shortcut you mean? Maybe a screenshot. I don’t think I follow.

In v4 there is a shortcut switch for the app but not in v5. Where you can instantly toggle On/Off.

1 Like

Oh yes, thanks. Yep we’ll be continuously porting the features from v4 to v5. It will just take some time, and first I want to release the public version first, to test it with a wider audience.

How is the stability for you by the way? All good?

So far so good I guess, since I reformatted my device the battery optimization warning did popped out couple of times when Blokada is running, also when I was mass installing apps, the battery usage shows Blokada is running on intensive power/ram.

Edit: Just noticed that the stock Chrome browser still does not filter any adds out at all. Lol, no I didn’t bypass it in settings. And does not start on boot.

1 Like

That’s probably private dns settings of Chrome. To start on boot you need to enable “always on vpn”.

1 Like

Hi guys,

So I just posted the newest release of Blokada 5 beta on our homepage, blokada.org, which we can consider the next step on our roadmap.

What’s new in Blokada v5

If you are new here, see the Goals in the first post, but in short, new UI (known from iOS) with simpler navigation, and rewritten codebase. We are aiming at a very high level of app stability connectivity, and so far it seems we doing very well with the v5.

Note that many features from v4 are not present yet in v5. They will be ported one by one as we go. The core functionality is there though, and the app should be already usable day to day.

Blokada for Android v5.0.5 beta public preview

• Improvements to the tunnel
  • Improvements to the translations
  • Changed package name to be the same as Blokada 4 (so now it will update from v4, and not install alongside)
  • Simple notifications for new releases
  • Other minor bugfixes

Please note that you will loose your Blokada 4 settings and counters when updating to Blokada 5!

Oh one more thing, anyone having Blokada 5 beta older than 5.0.5, please remove it and install this new one. The reason is that I changed the package name (to be the official package name of Blokada), so otherwise you may end up with two apps installed at once.

1 Like

I’m still struggling trying to find the link to download the apk. Could you just leave it somewhere easy to locate? Lol.

1 Like

But for v4 I had data saver on with asynchronous off and I have no problem seeing any ads at all. Where’s the “always on vpn” button?

1 Like

Sorry guys, there was a problem with this update and I had to take it down until tomorrow.

2 Likes

Ahh explains why I can’t find it then.

1 Like

¿dónde esta el enlace de descarga de apk 5 beta android … o se debe descargar desde la pagina en el link de la version 4.7 ?

1 Like
2 Likes

Hi guys,

So the previous attempt was a bit of a fail start, but I just posted an update, and made it available again on our homepage, blokada.org , which we can consider the next step on our roadmap.

The update will preserve your account ID and your ads counter from the v4 when updating.

What’s new in Blokada v5

If you are new here, see the Goals in the first post, but in short, new UI (known from iOS) with simpler navigation, and rewritten codebase. We are aiming at a very high level of app stability connectivity, and so far it seems we doing very well with the v5.

Note that many features from v4 are not present yet in v5. They will be ported one by one as we go. The core functionality is there though, and the app should be already usable day to day.

1 Like

Hi guys, there was one more problem on some devices that would block the connection. I have just pushed the fix (5.0.7). You’ll get a notification in app, but it may take 12 hours, so to force check for the update:

• Go to Settings tab -> This device
  • Tap on “Beta channel”
  • Tap “Continue” in the dialog window that showed up
  • You’ll be redirected to download the apk
1 Like

Doesn’t block anything for me now.

Just a quick update, I now released 5.0.8 with the keep alive notification:

This notification will keep the app alive on those devices for which the “Always on VPN” does not work for some reason. Additionally, it provides useful status info about the app, and let’s you turn it off and on.

You can hide this notification by swiping right on it and using system settings.

6 Likes