[Solved] A connectivity issue with Blokada 5.9

Hi all, I hope you are well.

EDIT: We have now released a fix for the connectivity problems some of you have been experiencing in 5.9. Read this announcement for details. You should be getting the update, depending on the source of your installation, in the next couple of days. If you want to speed up this process, you can always uninstall your version, and install the one from our homepage (https://blokada.org).

The fix is included in Blokada 5.10.1, so confirm your version after the update. In practice this version is just changing the default DNS back to Cloudflare, so that your connectivity is restored now, and you don’t have to wait until we address the actual problem with our own DNS.

You should be also fine without updating, just by changing the DNS setting in your app:

1. (Android) Go to Advanced tab → Networks → All networks → Tap on “Use DNS” → Choose “Cloudflare”.
  2. (iOS) Go to Settings tab → Encryption & DNS → DNS → Choose “Cloudflare”

You can of course choose other DNS server than Cloudflare, but the less popular ones may have their own problems, and we cannot guarantee they will work at this moment.

Additional comments

I also wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the effort to provide us the information we asked for during the last days. It was amazing to see so many people to step up and spend your time helping us debug those issues. This is a truly amazing power of our community.

If you are on Android 11 already, you may experience other problems despite the update. Sadly, we do not support Android 11 yet - I’ll try to address it in the coming weeks.

13 Likes

Plus mode is also experiencing issues.
Very slow internet
I mean, VERYYYY SLOWWW

After a bit of scrutiny
I found that turning off ENCRYPTION on DNS resolves it
But!
Blokada DNS, whether encryption is on or off, doesn’t work at all.
All other DNS (without encryption) work fine.

But we all need that encryption without SLOWdown.
It is as slow as opening a webpage in 5 min instead of 0.5 sec.

Huge lapse!

Edit:
It happens on both Fdroid and play store versions.
In fact, fdroid version wasn’t working without dns encryption also, but play store version worked without encryption.

2 Likes
  1. Installed from F Droid
  2. Libre mode
  3. USA
1 Like
  1. Blockada homepage - beta
  2. Libre
  3. Japan
    I noticed it not working about 12 hrs ago, switched to a different DNS and it’s all good.
3 Likes

Fixed it by not using the Blokada DNS server. It seems like the server is down or malfunctioning.
I installed via website.
Last I recall, google play doesn’t allow ad blockers, did that change?

May I redirect you to this post here? Blokada is blocking internet access for browser

1 Like

Thanks, I did not notice that post. Yeah it’s likely the same issue.

1 Like

Same for me, started late yesterday on my phone & saw same issue on my tablet in the evening. Swapping from Blokada DNS to Google DNS fixed the issue, I didn’t try any other DNS providers.

1 Like

I do not have any issue with 5.9. I am working some time with Libre and some time with Plus. both with DNS - Open DNS . worked perfectly. before a month I tried to work with Blokada dns but the speed was not enough. As it looks the app working perfect and the problems are with the Blokada DNS

1 Like

It started yesterday morning

Installed from Blockada website, beta

US

Libre

I think the issue has to do with the Blockada DNS, when switching to Google or Cloudflare it works just fine

1 Like
  1. App installed from iOS app store
  2. Libre mode
  3. USA

Yes Blokada dns May be down or behaving erratic. However changing to cloudflare or google while it’s works it’s highly non performant. Too much dns ping time. At times slows down!!!
To the team - Strongly recommend compare what went between 5.8 vs v5.9.
For me v5.8 worked flawless. Wish I could get that specific version for iOS.

1 Like

Thank you all for prompt feedback. It is very helpful.

We are closing down on the issue it seems. If you still have the energy to try out coming back to our DNS, and are still experiencing problems, I’d appreciate if you could share your log with me.

• Tap the top right icon (dots or help icon - depending on which OS you use)
  • Tap ‘Share log’
  • Share to hello@blokada.org (make sure you copypaste it).

Thanks!

1 Like

Initially installed apk from xda and have since updated through the blokada app when I get the notification to do so. Blokada dns doesn’t work at all but switching to cloudflare dns works however a little slow. I have the libre version, USA.

All of this started yesterday 2.24.21

1 Like

Installed from Google play, upgraded at blokada to Libre on a pixel 4a, Samsung tablet, and moto g in the US. Switching DNS worked yesterday a.m.

I am able to switch back to blokada DNS now, and the internet access works fine, thanks!

1 Like

Libre
USA

Full blokada not avail in google play, only slim
So there is no auto update for many of us
Running version 5.8

Backwards that you have a ticket system and choose to not use it for major issues like this

1 Like

Thanks for replying guys. For anyone else experiencing the problem and wanting to help, please send privately (to hello@blokada.org) your answers to the following questions:

1. What is your IP (google “what is my ip”)
  2. Where are you located (just the country)?
  3. Are you running Libre mode (blue ring) or Plus mode (orange ring)?
  4. What host is shown for you in https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ (standard test)?
2 Likes
  1. 2600:387:4:803::c0
  2. Alaska, USA
  3. Libre
  4. Switched to cloudfare so that’s what’s showing up. Was previously using blokada and couldn’t connect to any internet. Switched to cloudfare and everything is working great now
1 Like

@Karol - tried it just now.

Seems to load up fine with Blokada dns. Worked fine. Changed to cloud flare dns worked well too. I have following filters on - energized , developer Dan, ad away, duck duck tracker, spam 404

Have emailed the ip and other details you asked for.

But just few minutes into it - the WiFi broke and had to switch off Blokada to inform back here.

Sadly, yes initially felt good but the problem recurred and continues to exist. Will share logs by email

1 Like

Again:
We need additional information on this from as many people as possible as soon as possible:
Thank you all for prompt feedback. It is very helpful.

We are closing down on the issue it seems. If you still have the energy to try out coming back to our DNS, and are still experiencing problems, I’d appreciate if you could share your log with me.

• Tap the top right icon (dots or help icon - depending on which OS you use)
  • Tap ‘Share log’
  • Share to hello@blokada.org (make sure you copypaste it).

Additionally we need the following via email as well:

1. What is your IP (google “what is my ip”)
  2. Where are you located (just the country)?
  3. Are you running Libre mode (blue ring) or Plus mode (orange ring)?
  4. What host is shown for you in https://www.dnsleaktest.com/ (standard test)?
2 Likes

@PrintableCharacter @Karol - I have shared all needed details. But just my observation - the dns chosen had no affect on the problem for me. It was equally slow and breaking the network no matter what dns.

1 Like

Reachsra, did you restart Blokada after switching to cloudflare?
My experience is that when using the blokada DNS, some addresses can be reached, others not (I can visit NYPost, but not NYTimes, e.g.)